BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Give your natural hair A CHANCE!

You don't have to necessarily get sisterlocks/locks like I have.  All I am saying is give YOUR REAL hair A CHANCE! :)

I just had to share with you a butterfly moment.  There is so much more to having natural hair whether it's an afro, twists, curly, kinky, freestyle  or locks/sisterlocks than just having them.  It's actually looking at what God has made and truly saying thank you.  It's not saying how disgusting the hair God has blessed us with is or how bad it needs to be straightened or corrected.  You would be really surprised at the oppressedd mentality that is still out there.  It's allowing the natural beauty to be exactly that, naturally beautifully.  It's allowing the brainwashing from society to stop trying to make afro-kinky hair feel as if it has a problem. 
     Now as a child I would always complain about my feet and long toes.  So my mother said to me one day, some people don't have feet and that I should be grateful for them.  It took me a while to realize that my feet were in fact a beautiful blessing. With a little polish and care they really look just fine.  So what was I really looking for or expecting them to look like?   She went on to explain that I was actually looking up at the Lord saying I don't like what you made.  This made me think about the negative comments that black women or women with afro-kinky hair would say about their hair. We may not think that we are saying to God I don't like what you made, but we are. Our hair in its natural state is beautiful.  I am not saying that relaxers are not, but those of us who are addicted to chemicals DON'T give our hair or new growth the chance to grow out of our scalps before we are overprocessing the hair.  I know because I used to be in the rat race to the weave shops, trying to hide or straighten that precious tightly curled new growth.   The Bible actually says that a women's hair is her glory and an important role in her "spiritual covering!"  Unfortunately we walk around with someone else's glory, bought, then glued, braided or sown in.   In other words  I am so amazed at how people don't realize that black hair is naturally curly and very unique in it's own way.  It just needs love in so many more ways than one.   I always try to see the purpose or the original intention behind creation.  If you are tired of thinning, balding hair, or always having to ensure that you are COVERING (HIDING) your glory...then please consider being natural/real.  Enough said...  I just want you to embrace your beautiful blessing and give it a chance!

2 comments:

Lush Locs said...

I totally agree with you. Relaxed and naturally straight can look really good but our "afro-textured" is unique, interesting, awe-inspiring, and naturally beautifully.

Lady Butterfly said...

Absolutely Lush Locks!!! We just need to give it a chance. The helmets of weave or wigs need to retire just long enough to let the real crown breathe and shine. By the way how neat, the lesson behind your name "Lush" Locs. I like that!